The Right Way to Wash Your Face if You Have Acne
Although dirt and makeup are not the causes of acne, they can aggravate an existing acne condition. Many people mistakenly feel that scrubbing their skin vigorously is the only way to get dirt and oil out of the pores and get rid of the acne. Using acne products that contain the ingredients to remove oil and bacteria is the right place to start. Following these steps will also prevent you from irritating skin and making your condition worse:
- Use a gentle makeup remover to take off makeup before you clean your face. Waterproof mascara and other types of eye makeup may require a special remover to do a thorough job.
- Use the right type of cleanser for your skin type. Be especially cautious about using those with harsh ingredients if you have sensitive skin.
- Avoid abrasive tools like motorized brushes. If you have blackheads, remove them with a pore cleansing tool that does not damage the surrounding skin.
- Limit yourself to washing your face two times a day, including once before bedtime.
- Exfoliate skin to remove dead skin cells once or twice weekly.
- Never use bar soaps on your face. They will dry out the skin without reducing oil production.
- Only use toner if you have oily skin. Apply before putting on makeup to help it go on smoother.